Hounslow Heath Junior School – On site at our largest ever project
Borras General Contracts Division began on site at Hounslow Heath Junior School in September 2017. The 109 week long scheme forms phase 2 of an ambitious expansion project to convert the school into 7 form entry. It follows on from phase 1, a £2.3m project that Borras successfully delivered in 2016.
We are working to deliver the project with architects PWA and consultants Daniel Connal Partnership on behalf of The London Borough of Hounslow. The £9.0m contract value make this the single largest project in our 38 year history.
Early stages of the timber frame erection
The works have been broken down into 11 sections in order to allow the school to remain in occupation throughout, they comprise of:
- The construction of a three storey, timber framed teaching block at the west end of the existing main school building. Once complete the new facility will provide 14 classrooms, pupil, staff and accessible WC’s, 5 group/specialist teaching rooms and a state-of-the-art ICT suite
- Construction of a single storey courtyard extension to provide an additional 2 classrooms and admin office areas
- Construction of a pupil toilet block extension
- Remodelling of the existing assembly hall and the linking up of existing corridors to improve circulation
- Additional works include the enlargement of existing classrooms, increased admin office space, the revamp of the existing entrance and reception area and associated external works
An artist impression of the completed teaching block (right)
Works are now in the 20th week and progressing well, this week saw Headteacher Ritu Aulakh and School Business Manager Baljit Gupta visit the site to ceremonially mark the start of works coming out of the ground (pictured below). A crane has recently moved onto site and begun erecting elements of the timber frame which should take around 8 week to complete.
The project is also aiming to achieve a BREEAM ‘Excellent’ rating. BREEAM assessments use recognised measure’s which are set against established benchmarks to evaluate a buildings environmental performance across its specification, design, construction and use.
Check back for future updates from site!
Took the time to understand our needs and flexed where needed to accommodate our changing needs, their approach made the whole job easier than I expected.
Roger Clements – Facilities Manager
Rowan Gate Primary School
Borras Awarded ‘Member of the Year’ at the annual BSG Awards
Borras is proud to be announced 'Member of the Year' at the 2019 Building Safety Group (BSG) Awards.…
Borras catch up with Trainee Site Manager in support for Women in Construction
In light of encouragement and support for Women in Construction (WIC), we recently caught up with our Trainee…
Borras bring home 2 of the Hertfordshire Building Futures Awards 2018
The Hertfordshire ‘Building Futures Awards 2018' were recently held on October 4th and we’re proud to announce that…