Hounslow Heath Junior School – On site at our largest ever project
Borras General Contracts Division began on site at Hounslow Heath Junior School in September 2017. The 109 week long scheme forms phase 2 of an ambitious expansion project to convert the school into 7 form entry. It follows on from phase 1, a £2.3m project that Borras successfully delivered in 2016.
We are working to deliver the project with architects PWA and consultants Daniel Connal Partnership on behalf of The London Borough of Hounslow. The £9.0m contract value make this the single largest project in our 38 year history.
Early stages of the timber frame erection
The works have been broken down into 11 sections in order to allow the school to remain in occupation throughout, they comprise of:
- The construction of a three storey, timber framed teaching block at the west end of the existing main school building. Once complete the new facility will provide 14 classrooms, pupil, staff and accessible WC’s, 5 group/specialist teaching rooms and a state-of-the-art ICT suite
- Construction of a single storey courtyard extension to provide an additional 2 classrooms and admin office areas
- Construction of a pupil toilet block extension
- Remodelling of the existing assembly hall and the linking up of existing corridors to improve circulation
- Additional works include the enlargement of existing classrooms, increased admin office space, the revamp of the existing entrance and reception area and associated external works
An artist impression of the completed teaching block (right)
Works are now in the 20th week and progressing well, this week saw Headteacher Ritu Aulakh and School Business Manager Baljit Gupta visit the site to ceremonially mark the start of works coming out of the ground (pictured below). A crane has recently moved onto site and begun erecting elements of the timber frame which should take around 8 week to complete.
The project is also aiming to achieve a BREEAM ‘Excellent’ rating. BREEAM assessments use recognised measure’s which are set against established benchmarks to evaluate a buildings environmental performance across its specification, design, construction and use.
Check back for future updates from site!
In response to the Coronavirus outbreak, we are keen to reassure our employees, clients, project stakeholders and supply-chain partners, that we are taking the necessary precautions in relation to a healthy working environment across our sites and operations.
Mike Howlett – Managing Director
New Hub at Mencap Watford…
Congratulations ... ....to our Special Works team who, following a tight programme, have completed works at Watford Mencap’s…
Borras – Road to Net Zero …
With the protection of the world which we live in at the forefront of everyone’s thoughts, at Borras…