Hounslow Heath Junior School – On site at our largest ever project
Borras General Contracts Division began on site at Hounslow Heath Junior School in September 2017. The 109 week long scheme forms phase 2 of an ambitious expansion project to convert the school into 7 form entry. It follows on from phase 1, a £2.3m project that Borras successfully delivered in 2016.
We are working to deliver the project with architects PWA and consultants Daniel Connal Partnership on behalf of The London Borough of Hounslow. The £9.0m contract value make this the single largest project in our 38 year history.
Early stages of the timber frame erection
The works have been broken down into 11 sections in order to allow the school to remain in occupation throughout, they comprise of:
- The construction of a three storey, timber framed teaching block at the west end of the existing main school building. Once complete the new facility will provide 14 classrooms, pupil, staff and accessible WC’s, 5 group/specialist teaching rooms and a state-of-the-art ICT suite
- Construction of a single storey courtyard extension to provide an additional 2 classrooms and admin office areas
- Construction of a pupil toilet block extension
- Remodelling of the existing assembly hall and the linking up of existing corridors to improve circulation
- Additional works include the enlargement of existing classrooms, increased admin office space, the revamp of the existing entrance and reception area and associated external works
An artist impression of the completed teaching block (right)
Works are now in the 20th week and progressing well, this week saw Headteacher Ritu Aulakh and School Business Manager Baljit Gupta visit the site to ceremonially mark the start of works coming out of the ground (pictured below). A crane has recently moved onto site and begun erecting elements of the timber frame which should take around 8 week to complete.
The project is also aiming to achieve a BREEAM ‘Excellent’ rating. BREEAM assessments use recognised measure’s which are set against established benchmarks to evaluate a buildings environmental performance across its specification, design, construction and use.
Check back for future updates from site!
Borras worked closely with the school to ensure that there was minimum disruption for the staff and pupils. The work was carried out to a high standard and each phase was completed by the agreed deadline.
Jane Jakes – Bursar
Greens Norton Primary School, Towcester
Borras bring home 2 of the Hertfordshire Building Futures Awards 2018
The Hertfordshire ‘Building Futures Awards 2018' were recently held on October 4th and we’re proud to announce that…
Latest time lapse footage from our £9m project at Hounslow Heath School
Our General Contracts team have been on site at Hounslow Heath Junior School since September 2017. The ambitious…
London Division Complete Scheme at The Royal Foundation of St Katherine
The Royal Foundation of St Katherine has been a centre for worship, hospitality and service since its founding…