At Borras we see every project as an opportunity to impact positively on the social, economic and environmental prospects of the communities we are pleased to be a part of. That’s why we try to ensure our clients get the most from their investment and as much as possible remains within the local community. However we achieve this, whether through maintaining a local supply chain or by donating to charity, Borras always try to enhance the benefits that our business activities bring.
Recent Borras community initiatives include:
- Whilst carrying out our South Cambridgeshire Decent Homes scheme our site team refurbished several areas of Wood Green Animal Shelter in Heydon (pictured below), donated and fitted a new staff kitchen at Sawston Nursery and helped with the dramatic refurbishment of Melbourn Pavilion
- Whilst completing a refurbishment project at Sparrow Court in Wheathampstead we worked together with the local Parish Council to transform a small patch of land opposite the site. The previously underutilised land was redesigned into an attractive, peaceful community garden. Borras supported the project through the donation of materials and labour.
- Donating a new kitchen and refurbishing St Albans Cathedral’s Crypt room, which is currently used for community activities
- Staff gathered and donated food supplies to Centre 33 in time for the busy Christmas period (Photo at the top of the page), Centre 33 is a drop-in centre for homeless and socially or materially disadvantaged people in St Albans
- Donating a freezer and microwave to Age Concern’s St Albans centre
The Considerate Constructors Scheme is a non-profit making, independent organisation founded in 1997 by the construction industry to improve its image. Borras register every site with the scheme as a means to measure our own performance against industry standards and maintain safe, responsible, neighbourly sites.
Registered sites are assessed against a code of considerate practice, designed to encourage higher standards of conduct. Marking is broken down into 5 areas:
- Care about Appearance
- Respect the Community
- Protect the Environment
- Secure everyone’s Safety
- Value their Workforce
Bob and Meg Wilson founded the Willow Foundation in 1999 as a lasting memorial to their daughter, Anna, who died of cancer aged just 31. Willow is a charity partner of Borras and is the only national charity working with seriously ill young adults aged 16 to 40 to provide uplifting and unforgettable Special Days. These Special Days help them and their families reconnect and refocus on each other while enjoying an activity of their choice. A day for them, a day about them and a day that creates memories they will treasure forever.
Borras first became involved with the cause when our staff raised over £5,000 in 2009 on their annual charity hike. The subsequent cheque presentation at the Willow Headquarters by the hiking team cemented the relationship, which has since raised over £65,000 in donations.
You can learn more and support Willow here: www.willowfoundation.org.uk
HERTS AIR AMBULANCE
The Herts Air Ambulance, unlike NHS emergency services, is a Charity providing a free life-saving Helicopter Emergency Medical Service (HEMS) across Hertfordshire.
Borras adopted the Air Ambulance as a charity partner in 2015 and in September raised over £11,400 for their cause when staff completed a 50 mile Kayak Challenge.
The finished result is really impressive and I’m delighted with how things have worked out. I really felt you went out of your way to deliver as professional and stylish a kitchen as you possibly could.
N. Herriot – Social Housing Resident
CityWest Homes Scheme
Borras Awarded Place on New NHS Framework Agreement
Borras are delighted to announce we have successfully secured a place on the National Health Service's latest Construction…
Phase 1 of Brimsdown Primary School Project Complete
Our General Contracts team recently completed phase 1 of their £2.4m improvement project at Brimdown Primary School, Enfield.…
Borras help St Albans football team turn disaster into cup success
Two years ago, the 17th St Albans Cubs Football team was on the verge of disbanding. Soon to…
Borras Continue to Lead the Way on New Build Housing
Borras Residential Division are proud to have recently set up site in Brentwood on a £1.4m project to…