Commercial

St Albans Cathedral Deanery

St Albans, Hertfordshire

CLIENT: The Cathedral & Abbey Church of St Albans
ARCHITECT: Briffa Phillips
QUANTITY SURVEYOR: Briffa Phillips
VALUE: £230,000
CONTRACT PERIOD: 12 Weeks

Completed over 12 weeks by our Special Works Division this project involved the internal reconfiguration and refurbishment of St Albans Cathedral’s Deanery. The building dates to 1878 but features some older artefacts, including a 17th century fireplace. It is situated in its own walled gardens within the confines of the Cathedral grounds.

The demolition of existing internal walls and formation of door openings created new spaces and significantly altered the layout of the building’s three floors. Works included:

  • Fire compartmentation works to create new fire lobbies and the installation of new emergency smoke ventilation vents in stair wells
  • The formation of a new main entrance lobby and reception area on the ground floor together with new offices, toilets and kitchenettes on the first and second floor
  • Installation of LED lighting throughout and replacement of skylights
  • Refurbishment of clergy offices and Chapter Room (pictured: top of page) which will now be available for private function hire
  • Creation of storage space and a new boiler room in the basement
  • New electrical installations including video entry system, fire alarm adaptations and new data throughout, which was then linked back to the Cathedral

Delivered on time and to budget the scheme successfully fulfilled its project brief of providing larger and improved office space through the better utilisation of available space.

Commercial Projects

British Red Cross Resource Centre

This 38 week long project involved the construction of a new build two storey Resource Centre for The…

Imperial War Museum Duxford

This £840k project at the Imperial War Museum Duxford involved works to the American Air Museum, a hangar…

Bois Moor Road

This project, on behalf of RBC Property Developments involved the demolition of a commercial storage facility followed by…

The Treaty Centre

This contract on behalf of the London Borough of Hounslow involved the creation of a new Community Resource…

Hertsmere Borough Council Civic Offices

This project undertaken on behalf of the Hertsmere Borough Council involved the extension and refurbishment of the existing…

Johnson Matthey ECT Technology Centre

Johnson Matthey is a British multinational specialist chemicals company, founded in 1817 they currently employ around 1,700 staff…

Dagenham Civic Centre, Phases 1, 2 & 3

The initial first and second phases of the works were completed on a 26 week contract at Dagenham…

Dropmore Road Depot

This scheme carried out by the Borras General Contracts division on behalf of South Buckinghamshire District Council saw…

Wrensfield Close

Wrensfield Close is a new build property development in the heart of Nascot Wood, Watford. Works included the…

Breakspear Crematorium

Completed by the General Contracts Division, this multi-phase project at Breakspear Crematorium required considerable sensitivity and technical expertise…