Heritage

Avenue House

Finchley, London

CLIENT: Avenue House Estate Trust
ARCHITECT: Jon Sheaff & Associates
QUANTITY SURVEYOR: Huntley Cartwright
VALUE: £355,000
CONTRACT PERIOD: 27 Weeks

Avenue House at Stephens House and Gardens is an imposing mid Victorian mansion with extensive gardens in Finchley, Barnet. This scheme, completed by our Special Works Division and funded partly by the Heritage Lottery Fund involved works to the grade II listed stable block and garage.

The stable block was sympathetically refurbished including new electrical services, light fittings and windows, re-roofing works, masonry repairs and the restoration of the original 1880 floor which was revealed following the removal of existing timber floorboards.

Now complete the building will become a cafe serving members of the public and visitors to the neighbouring park. Two large glazed screen doors were also installed behind the existing timber wooden doors, allowing the cafe space to open up into the courtyard in summer months.

Additionally a toilet block was formed, two rooms on the first floor were refurbished to create office and storage space and a new opening was created in an external wall to provide easier access to the cafe from the park.

The adjacent former garage was transformed into a community resource room and visitor centre. An existing roller shutter was replaced with a new folding glazed entrance and 2 sections of glass curtain walling were incorporated into the front elevation. These alterations were made to increase the amount of natural light in the building, better equipped it to serve as a gallery displaying the history of the house and gardens.

Heritage Projects

Brackley Town Hall

Our General Works team recently completed the restoration of Grade II* listed, Brackley Town Hall. This prestigious scheme…

Cassiobury Park

This 18 month-long scheme saw works take place across what is, at 190 acres, Watford's largest public open…

The Royal Foundation of St Katherine

The Royal Foundation of St Katherine has been a centre for worship, hospitality and service since its founding…

RAF Museum Hendon

This project, completed by our General Contracts Division and funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund, formed part of…

Langtons Gardens

Langtons House and Gardens are a grade II listed 18th century house and landscaped gardens in Hornchurch, Greater…

Leytonstone Library

This project saw the interior of the existing library dramatically remodelled and modernised. The ground floor was transformed…

North Hertfordshire Museum

Originally constructed in 1901 Hitchin Town Hall is a grade II listed building in the heart of Hitchin…

Bedford Museum & Cecil Higgins Art Gallery

Borras’ General Contracts completed major internal and external renovation works at the Bedford Museum and Cecil Higgins Art…

St Andrew’s Church

This project saw Borras Special Works division create the new St Andrew’s Centre at St Andrew’s Church, Hertford.…

Haven Green Baptist Church

The works to Haven Green Baptist Church consisted of a variety of elements including: Re-roofing, re-slating and installation…