CLIENT: London Borough of Havering
ARCHITECT: Chris Blandford Associates
QUANTITY SURVEYOR: Potter Raper Partnership
CONTRACT PERIOD: 64 Weeks
Langtons House and Gardens are a grade II listed 18th century house and landscaped gardens in Hornchurch, Greater London. The gardens were remodelled in the early 19th century by Humphry Repton, a British Landscape gardener who is often regarded as one of the greatest of his era. The house and gardens are now used as the Borough’s register office and Public Park after becoming local authority property 1929.
The £2.3m project involved extensive restoration and redevelopment works to the park over 64 weeks and was jointly funded by Havering Council, the Heritage Lottery Fund and Veoila Havering Riverside Trust.
Borras’ appointment on the scheme followed on from the successful delivery of a similar project for the Council in 2013 when our General Contracts Division revamped the nearby Raphael Park.
Improvements and restoration to perimeter walls, which included several grade II listed sections, and the creation of new entrances successfully improved the park’s access routes. The onsite facilities were also greatly improved following the transformation of the house’s former stable yard. An existing garage was converted to form a café, corrugated iron sheds were demolished and replaced with a new build toilet block, a new car park was formed and the entire area was re-paved.
Works around the garden’s included:
- A new entrance created within a listed wall and new pathways through the grounds reconnected the adjacent Fielder’s Field to the park
- Revetment and bank stabilisation works to the lake, new soft planting and the creation of multi-levelled lake surroundings
- Construction of a feature, picturesque faux bridge at one end of the lake
- Refurbishment of the existing Orangery including a complete roof replacement
- Refurbishment of a grade II listed bath house within the grounds
- Construction of a new greenhouse and separate workshop for the garden’s landscaping team
Works to listed features were completed in consultation with Historic England, a specialist body dedicated to preserving England’s historic environment. All improvements were carefully considered and successfully complement the park’s existing character and aesthetic.
Careful planning, effective screening of areas under construction and close liaison with staff from the registrar office resulted in little disruption to their day to day operations. Wedding parties were still able to make full use of the gardens on their big day.
Brackley Town Hall
Our General Works team recently completed the restoration of Grade II* listed, Brackley Town Hall. This prestigious scheme…
This 18 month-long scheme saw works take place across what is, at 190 acres, Watford's largest public open…
RAF Museum Hendon
This project, completed by our General Contracts Division and funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund, formed part of…
Avenue House at Stephens House and Gardens is an imposing mid Victorian mansion with extensive gardens in Finchley,…
North Hertfordshire Museum
Originally constructed in 1901 Hitchin Town Hall is a grade II listed building in the heart of Hitchin…
Bedford Museum & Cecil Higgins Art Gallery
Borras’ General Contracts completed major internal and external renovation works at the Bedford Museum and Cecil Higgins Art…