The Royal Foundation of St Katherine
CLIENT: The Royal Foundation of St Katherine
ARCHITECT: Matthew Lloyd Architects
QUANTITY SURVEYOR: Bristow Johnson & Partners
CONTRACT PERIOD: 38 Weeks
The Royal Foundation of St Katherine has been a centre for worship, hospitality and service since its founding by Queen Matilda in 1147. The present object of the Charity is the advancement of the Christian religion by the provision and maintenance of a Christian Conference and Retreat Centre on their site in Limehouse, London, where the foundation have been since their relocation in 1951.
Completed by our London Division, this 38 week, £930k project involved the creation of a new Reflective Wing on the south side of the their existing grounds. The largest part of the project was the construction of a two storey, traditional build accommodation block. Named The Victor Churchill Building in homage to the Foundation’s former Chairman, the new 7 bed-roomed facility will be used by visitors on retreat. The facing bricks were carefully selected to ensure the new build’s aesthetic matched that of the neighbouring Chapel and Master House, both of which are Grade II listed.
Alteration and refurbishment works were also carried out in the Main Building and Chapel to improve staff areas, create new toilets and form a new dining room, which will serve the neighbouring accommodation. Externally, a new secluded courtyard with patio and water feature help to create facilities that serve as a peaceful urban oasis for those looking to get away from the busy-ness of modern day life.
The Museum of London had a watching brief over the project following the discovery of a crypt belonging to a former 19th century Church; the original Church was destroyed during the blitz. Subsequent x-ray surveys for further unexplored ordnance were carried out under supervision of the Museum during the projects early stages.
The project was particularly challenging from a logistical point of view due to the extremely tight access to and from the site. At is narrowest point, between the Master House and the boundary wall, the access was only 1.5 meters wide. This significantly limited the range of plant equipment available for use and meant that many of the materials had to be transported onto site by hand.
Despite the various challenges, the hard work and measured approach of the entire project team was recognised with a Silver Award at the 2018 Considerate Constructors National Site Awards. The awards recognise extraordinary achievements in improving the image of the construction industry; measuring contractors on their consideration towards the public, environment and their workforce. Congratulations to everyone involved!
The success of the project and established working relationship has resulted in The Foundation's Trustees agreeing that Borras become our preferred supplier
Jonathan Byrne, Operations Director
Brackley Town Hall
Our General Works team recently completed the restoration of Grade II* listed, Brackley Town Hall. This prestigious scheme…
This 18 month-long scheme saw works take place across what is, at 190 acres, Watford's largest public open…
Avenue House at Stephens House and Gardens is an imposing mid Victorian mansion with extensive gardens in Finchley,…
Langtons House and Gardens are a grade II listed 18th century house and landscaped gardens in Hornchurch, Greater…
North Hertfordshire Museum
Originally constructed in 1901 Hitchin Town Hall is a grade II listed building in the heart of Hitchin…
Bedford Museum & Cecil Higgins Art Gallery
Borras’ General Contracts completed major internal and external renovation works at the Bedford Museum and Cecil Higgins Art…